Well, it’s just five days to go. At this point, I am just ready to get on the plane. I am tired of the details.
My daughter Emily sent me a sobering statistic today: 1/2 of the people that die every year in the Congo are kidsless than 10 years old. In the US, 1/2 of the people that die every year are 75+ years old.
Good news came early today. I received the Swahili translation of our Bible study methods course. The business course translation should arrive soon. I am excited to see what God will do.
I think we will be trying out a new product on this trip — waterless shampoo. Yes, there is a shampoo that does not require water. You put it on and towel it off. Given the water situation in Bukavu, I think we will be using it often. I am already feeling sorry for the people who will be sitting next to us on the plane going home.
Now for a few logistics:
- If you want to adopt a Bible, drop me an email at [email protected]
- If you want to follow the trip on Twitter, sign up at www.twitter.com/congoblessings
- If you want to receive email updates (and not adopt a Bible), email me at the address above.
Here’s how you can pray:
Prayers for the Bible Recipients:
- That the Bible would penetrate their hearts and minds and that they would choose to obey.
- That the Word would inspire servant leadership.
- That God would provide for their physical needs.
- That God’s Word would teach husbands to love their wives the way Christ loves the Church.
- That God would use His Word to build their faith.
- That God would use His Word to build unity and purity in the church in Bukavu and beyond.
- That God would bring peace, acceptance and forgiveness to a long suffering people.
Prayers for Business Seminar Students:
- That God would bring the people that He wants to start and build profitable, Christ-centered businesses that would lift the economy.
- That God would give the students insight into the business that He designed them to build.
Prayers for Brainstorming Session:
- That the pastors would realize that Jesus Christ, not money, is the solution to the city’s problems.
- That the Holy Spirit would give them specific direction as to how to bring change to Bukavu.
Prayers for the Trip:
- That our presence and love would be encouraging.
- That God would provide us with divine appointments with people with which He wants us to begin enduring relationships.
- That God would show us with whom and how we should build relationships.
- That God would give us keen insight into His creation – the resources, environment, culture, and people – and show us a creative approach to help the people develop economically and spiritually and not make them the target of violence.
- That we would be strong in the Lord, with the full armor of God, able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
- That God would keep us free from unnecessary health and safety issues.
“Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” (John 14:13)